Wow. That felt great.

by Ash on October 18, 2012

I have no idea if any of you guys are still out there. I hope you’re doing well if so.

Me?

I honestly don’t know how “I” am doing.

My mind is so full of news and noise and nothing. I feel this compulsion to stay up to date with information, but really, it’s just the same shit recycled every 60 minutes. I’ve come to realize that it’s a fantastic distraction from the voices swirling in my head.

But I think I’m now prepared to stand still in the silence and listen.

Finally.

You know those trendy detox diets all the skinny celebreties rave about. The raves that make me want to scream “you’re rediculous” at the top of my lungs. Well, I’ve decided I’m committing myself to an information detox until after the election. Early voting starts in Texas next Monday, Oct. 22. I will walk in, embrace the smell of old church and all the nostalgia that, that brings, select a paper ballot and get my American on.

I need to hear the calm voices in my head again. I miss silence. Crap, I might even meditate.

I’ll pray more for sure.

The meaning of my title? I shut down my AshAtShades Twitter account. For good.

A pebble was lifted.

Namaste.

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

Rebecca October 18, 2012 at 10:11 am

Ah, twitter – how I hate to love thee.

Seriously though, I hear you. The noise is insane…I’ve watched the debates, on a local network channel and as soon as they are done, I turn it off – no talking heads, no rambling, no spinning or twisting or flat out making things up.

I fear we are headed to hell in a handbasket, one way or the other, so more prayer is certainly a good thing.

Cameron October 18, 2012 at 11:12 am

I keep you in my reader always.

Embrace the silence, but don’t vanish, okay?

Heather @ nobody-but-yourself October 18, 2012 at 12:10 pm

You are also in my reader, always. I will miss you on Twitter, as infrequently as I interact there of late. Once I’m done Facebooking, there’s not much time left over for Twitter, my blog etc. Facebook has made me lazy, internet-wise.

Namaste back atcha.

Jen October 18, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I do not like that you shut down Twitter but I get it… I do.

Elaine A. October 18, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Okay, the really funny thing? Before I read this, I posted on twitter that you posted on your blog and “mentioned” you but you are no longer there. And that makes me sad.

But SO glad to “see” you here. xo

Alexandra October 19, 2012 at 12:04 am

I think of you so much, and jump every time I see you posted.
Always worried it’s one that begins with the title “good bye.”

Glad you’re still here.

xo

Michele R October 19, 2012 at 8:12 am

I think about you lots too and miss you. I dont twitter but if I did I would have prob agreed with everything you twittered. Happy Autumn to you!

Shannon October 22, 2012 at 5:27 pm

I get it.

I don’t like it. But I get it.

John October 24, 2012 at 7:21 am

I love this post . . . I so wish I could just tune things out until the election — I’m an incredibly patient and open-minded man. But damn, the political rhetoric is making me angry.

Amanda Hoving November 10, 2012 at 2:21 am

I’ve been away from Twitter for 4 months (until tonight). I haven’t blogged in a year (but haven’t shut it down yet). I understand, friend. Oh yes, I do.

Be well!

Melissa B. December 10, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Twitter has consumed me. So much so that I’m backing away and heading back to blogging. Call me crazy, but certainly not lazy. PS: I do miss seeing you on my Twitter feed!

Sarah L. January 24, 2013 at 11:27 am

Hi Ash,

Thought I’d check on my Ga friend holding out in the lone star state. I understand, I too come & go. Don’t have much time to write. I “write” pretty good stuff in my head, but when I get to a computer or even pen & paper I can’t seem to get it right, it’s not as good. Plus I’m always on the road with the kiddos, no time, no energy. So another day passes and not much posting, just here & there. Life is crazy, busy & hectic…oh let’s be honest pretty stressful. But I do remain hopeful. Trying to stay connected and hopeful to contribute in some way, whatever that might be.

I’ll keep checking on you & hopefully I’ll find that you’ve left us a post that makes us think, grin or LOL – as most do.

Just waiting friend!

PS- How did the cleanse go? There has to be some funny in that to share. I’ve considered one, but so many to choose from that I get overwhelmed.

Sarah L. January 24, 2013 at 11:34 am

It would help if my brain wasn’t 3 or 4 sentences ahead of my fingers. I meant to say in my PS “Have you ever actually done a true Cleanse?”

Good grief!!!